Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Springtime for Operation Pollinator

We've had a very long winter here in Kentucky.  It's been chilly and wet all year, but we're finally starting to get some warm springtime weather!

This time last week, we had two straight days of snow.  Later this week we're supposed to have several days above 60F. I'm not going to question it.

The springtime weather drove me out to my Operation Pollinator plots to see how things were progressing.  It was wishful thinking on my part, but I hope to see some more recognizable wildflowers coming up in the next few weeks.

Currently, Operation Pollinator is looking pretty bedraggled and grassy.  There were only two plants that I thought might be early wildflowers coming up.


Does anyone know what this is?  Might be early bergamot coming up.  It looks mint-y to me.


This stuff was also coming up.  Lance-leaf coreopsis?  Might also be plantain or sorrel.

I've got my hopes up for more wildflowers showing up soon.  Can't wait to share all my new Operation Pollinator adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Hey EG - good to see those coming up. Nothing up yet here in NW Ohio other than skunk cabbage. The Hazelnut are blooming and the Bloodroot are just starting to poke above ground. I'm anxious to learn more about pollinator gardens this year. Cheers - Hal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing more about NW Ohio's native plants! I hope it warms up soon; I'm very nervous about my wildflowers getting frosted.

    ReplyDelete